Thursday, October 8, 2009

Maple Pumpkin Pie with Cinnamon Whipped Cream


I cannot for the life of me remember what magazine I got this recipe out of. I tore the clipping out and promptly lost it after making it the first time and being blown away. I scoured the internet for the recipe to no avail. My one replacement attempt was an epic fail and ended with me throwing the whole pie in the trash while a stream of obscenities came flying out of my mouth.

Then one glorious day not too long ago as I was cleaning out the junk drawer I found it. Torn, crumpled and with something spilled on it. I quickly copied it down to an index card and put it in my recipe book. Tonight I made it to go along with the leftover corn chowder. Instead of my usual baking soundtrack of "Minor Threat" I went with some "Iron & Wine". It's just that kind of day. Sierra helped make the whipped cream. She's an excellent helper....

For the pie you will need:

15oz pumpkin ( I used canned. If you're feeling feisty go ahead and roast one. See if I care)
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 maple syrup
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
3 eggs beaten
1 cup milk
Bottom crust

Preheat oven to 375
Line Pie Pan with dough
Combine Pumpkin, sugar, maple syrup, cinnamon & salt
Add eggs and mix all together
Add milk gradually
Pour into pie shell
Cover the crust with foil or a pie shield (I LOVE those things!!) and bake for 30 minutes.
Uncover crust and bake another 30
When you can insert a knife and have it come out clean your glorious pie is done.

Now while your pie is cooling you can make the whipped cream. I kind of just wing it. I use a cup of heavy whipping cream. Probably a little more than 1/8 of a cup of maple syrup and a sprinkle a bunch of cinnamon in. Whip it all up. You want to be able to see the cinnamon in there.

Top the cooled pie with whipped cream and a dash more of cinnamon.

No comments:

Post a Comment