Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Nana's Kale Soup


A lot of people have asked me for this recipe recently so I've decided I might as well post it here. One of the really clear memories I have from when I was a little girl was of the day my Papa taught me to dip my portuguese bread in my kale soup. My advice to you when making this is to go get yourself a good loaf if you have access to one, rip on a giant hunk, butter it, and dip it into this soup. The soup alone is good, but when you dip your bread in it....it's next level.


1 lb Kale washed & Chopped
1 lb Chorizo sliced
4 medium potatoes cubed
3 medium onions chopped
3 cans chicken broth
1/2 cup tomato juice (or V8 I use V8 more frequently)
16 oz water
19 oz can kidney beans
1/4 tsp each of salt, pepper, garlic powder, celery salt & crushed red pepper

In a large pot add oil chorizo & spices. Brown the chorizo and then all everything except for the beans. Bring to a boil & simmer 2 hours. Add beans and simmer another 1/2 an hour

2 comments:

  1. how much zing does it have??

    ReplyDelete
  2. a good amount of "zing". You can always add more but increasing the crushed red pepper, but the chorizo is also spicy.

    ReplyDelete