Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Tara's top secret (well not anymore) Chowder recipe


Corn Chowder is one of my favorite fall/winter time meals. This recipe is one I adapted from my Grammy's recipe and my ex-mother in laws. They both had elements I really liked and then some I didn't so I smooshed them together to make what I consider to be perfect corn chowder. And yes it does contain copious amounts of bacon...duh.




You will need:

2 medium onions chopped
3/4 of a stick of butter
10 strips of bacon
4 medium potatoes
2 Tbl flour
2 cans of creamed corn
24 oz of half and half
1/2 cup of milk
salt and pepper to taste

In a medium pot start the potatoes cubes to boil.
While they are boiling fry the bacon in the pot you will make the chowder in.
When the potatoes are soft but firm take them out and put them aside.
When the bacon is crispy remove it and put it aside.
Dump all but about 3 tablespoons of the bacon fat out and then cook the onions with some salt and pepper in that.
Dice the bacon and add it to the onion.
Add the flour to the onion mixture and blend until smooth
Then add: Potatoes and the stick of butter, corn, 1/2 & 1/2 and milk.
Stir it all together and heat over low/medium heat for 1/2 and hour 45 minutes stirring occasionally. Add salt and pepper to taste. You can set it over night but I find it's plenty thick using just a 1/2 cup of milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment